Monday, July 15, 2013

11 week update (original, I know)

So, today (actually written last Thursday), I'm officially 11 weeks.  We just got back from a family trip to Ireland on Monday evening and I can't distinguish which is the weary traveler and which is the weary baby-maker.

Belly with a peeking baby & spying puppy (sounds like a Chinese entree)
PS -- talk about manly looking forearms!  I swear I'm not buff at all...

As you can see, the bump is in full progress now.  It looks really low, so I'm not sure how much is baby and how much is just bloat.  People at Lady's (my daughter) daycare have asked me if I was pregnant last week.  And someone at work almost asked me yesterday, but I cut her off.  The words came out "Are you..." and she was looking at my stomach.  So today I made a conscious effort to wear clothes that show my gut  instead of disguising (as I have been in the last couple of weeks).  My thought -- reverse psychology.  If I don't try to hide my belly, people will be less likely to ask if I'm pregnant because they will just think I'm fat.  If I wear loose clothes, people will think I'm trying to hide something.  Paranoid much?

The nausea is still there somewhat.  While in Ireland, I forgot my morning sickness medication that I was prescribed from Emery (my OB).  It was there that I realized that the medication wasn't really doing anything.  I didn't feel any worse than I did with the medication -- just that plain ole' icky feeling.  I tried to eat little bits throughout the day and it seemed to work (though The Scientist's driving always made me nauseous).  So I stopped taking the Zofran completely.  I have waves of terrible nausea, but they are fleeting and tend to leave just as quickly as they arrived.  Being that my morning sickness isn't that severe, I've already spoken to The Scientist about my thoughts on this one being a boy.  He, of course, was elated, but we won't find out for certain until mid September.

We told his family while we were in Ireland.  I was only 10 weeks, but it's only two weeks shy of the end of the first trimester.  With all his family being together (which is an abnormal occurrence), we decided to break with our own rules and spread the joyful news.  They were over-the-moon, of course.  We will be telling my parents when they come out to visit in either two or three weeks.  At that point, the cat will be out of the bag.  My mother can't keep a secret to save her life.  My last pregnancy we told them at 11 weeks, but swore them to secrecy until we were ready for the news to come out.  A month later when I let her release the news on FaceBook, I got a congratulations from an aunt who told me that she knew for quite a while and was finally happy to be able to wish me well.  This time, we are prepared for the news to be heard 'round the world once my mom finds out.

I have a nuchal translucency ultrasound next Wednesday.  It's an ultrasound that measures the folds on the back of the baby's neck to see what the risk for a chromosomal abnormality is.  There we will get a better glimpse of the wee one.

And I think that this week is going to be the end of fat-phase and by next week, I should enter into the I-look-pregnant-phase.  It appears that the baby is going to double in size this week and that my uterus is finally going to pop out over the top of my pelvic bone.  I can think back to my first pregnancy and remember that at this phase, I was still not showing in the least.  This one is just proving to me how much abdominal work I'm going to have to do after the wee one comes to get some tone back.

With the early protruding belly and the shortness of breath I experience in climbing stairs already, this pregnancy is just showing me how out of shape I really am...

No comments:

Post a Comment