Thursday, July 18, 2013

12 and Pinball

From some reason this is my most lasting memory of Sesame Street growing up (this and the little worm dude that lives with Oscar the Grouch)

Today, we have hit it!  We are at 12 weeks today.  I know that technically I'm not out of my first trimester until next Thursday, but I'm totally counting it today.

Puppy bomb!

As you can see in the photo, there hasn't been a whole lot of change.  And I don't know if I'm mentioned the fact, but I actually lost weight while in Ireland.  And due to the fact that I'm not taking the zofran and don't feel like eating as I normally do, I have been able to maintain the same weight for the past week and a half.  I realized that it's only 3 pounds, but it makes me feel a lot less heavy (I'm sure it's all psychological).
And almost as if my body was telling me that I couldn't be counting my chickens yet, today I have had some serious morning sickness.  I thought that I was going to be physically sick at least 3 times this morning -- to the point where my spit even changed (TMI?).  Am I the only one that gets really liquid-y spit and has a slightly different taste right before they heave?  Hmmmm, weird.  I had to have The Scientist bring in the zofran for me at work.  I would have just went home sick, but I have two patients on the schedule with another phone interview to do.  My co-worker is going out on maternity leave probably next week and I'm covering her studies, so I have to make sure that I know what I'm doing here.  I took the zofran about 90 minutes ago and still feel total yuck.


And as you can see, yesterday, The Scientist and I went in for the nuchal translucency ultrasound.  We got to see the wee one for about 10 minutes while the tech was moving the wand all over my stomach.  It's too early to tell the sex of the baby by ultrasound, so we didn't find that out yesterday.  After the ultrasound, we were to discuss our options with the doctor (who happens to be working in (not for) The Scientist's lab trying to make Lenti virus -- don't ask me, I really don't know what that is either).  We went from chromosomal testing with The Lady and we wanted to do that again this time.  With The Lady, we had the nuchal translucency ultrasound, which measured a fold behind the baby's neck and in combination with some blood work, the results tell you your risk for a chromosomal abnormality.  

This time at the time of my due date I will classified as "Advanced Maternal Age" (I'll be 35), we have a new option.  Actually the new option is REALLY new to the Clinic -- 3 months new and has an efficacy rate of 99%.  With a single blood test, they are able to give us a positive on the three main chromosomal abnormalities (Downs Syndrome, Trisomy 18, and Trisomy 13).  But they are also able to tell us the sex of the baby!!!!!!!  Being that they are looking at the DNA of the fetus (something about free floating fetus DNA in my blood -- again they were speaking science jargon) when they are looking for the chromosomal abnormalities, they also have the DNA right there to look for an X or a Y.  The results come back in 10 business days.  So by the time that I reach 14 weeks, we will know for certain if it is a boy or a girl.  And the best part is that they are calling me with the results -- not The Scientist who would withhold the information or give me incorrect information just to tease me (as is his way).

The Scientist leaves tomorrow afternoon for his yearly conference.  He will be gone for 6 days, which leaves me with The Lady.  And while I'm pretty exhausted 95% of the day, she has finally left her teething stint from earlier this week behind.  That involved her waking from 2am - 4am two nights in a row and just being a complete bear in the evenings, requiring my constant attention and holding.  According to The Scientist, this morning's report was a good one.  She slept late and ate well and was overall back to her Lovely Lady self.  Yeah!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment